Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Out and About

Today I decided to bite the bullet and get started on the tracking imprinting as described in the book I have by Deborah R. Davis in her book Making Scents of Tracking. I wish I could have returned with some heroic tale of Bella's amazing tracking prowess. Instead I accidentally made the track a few yards longer than the planned 10 yards, then when I started Bella on the track she showed absolutely no interest and actually peed on the track which is a big no no, obviously.

However I kept her on the track through a very short leash and did my best to keep her focus on the ground, she took slight interest in it now and then and then she would lift her head and meant to go somewhere entirely different.

But this is only the first day of six, and then the program continues for 6 days out of 7 for another three weeks before cooling down the frequency of it. I know Bella can track and this is a slightly different method than I had going so I still have hope. I'm going to use better treats tomorrow, she missed about 80% of the treats I laid on the ground so that wasn't helping at all.

Afterwards  I drove 2 minutes further and allowed her to run loose for a while so I could take photos. It was so super bright that I found it hard to see which shots were okay and which weren't so I just played around and got a lot of photos I deleted, but a few turned out alright.

I was shooting next to the road in a moss covered lava field.

Bella on the Loose


Bella on the Loose


Bella on the Loose

I must confess, it's good to be back out there with Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment