Friday, October 22, 2010

The Pregnant Dog Owner

Bella is my first dog. As such, there's a whole new world out there to explore and learn from.

When I got her I had all these crazy ideas about spending time outside. Lots and lots of time. Biking, hiking and walking. Of course at the time I knew I was pregnant but didn't anticipate that my very first challenge would be learning to cope with a horde of experts advising me not to do a lot of the things I enjoy. Exercise apart from walking on even ground is pretty much a no-no. In short, the joints in my hips and lower back are too loose because of pregnancy hormones and cause me pain if I am not careful how I use my body.

I felt bad enough foreseeing the next 5-6 months of my life doing very little but the challenge of keeping a young active terrier fulfilled remains a bigger headache for me. On a few occasions I have allowed myself to do a few of the things I am not supposed to, like sneak out on my bike and allow Bella to go for a proper run. However, I always have to take the pain that comes with it and the knowledge that if I keep doing it my condition could deteriorate.

Walking is something I can still do but the distance I can cover shortens every week. My dog still gets to enjoy short walks on a leash or a trip to safe places where she can run while I wander a bit. I believe that every little thing counts. I also think the walks have helped my body stay relatively fit in other terms, my blood pressure is in a good range for example and my general health is good.

I don't regret for a moment having gotten Bella as she's been a great help in keeping me sane during my long hours of confinement to my home. That's why my current goal is to learn of and find ways to help her stay sane during the course of my pregnancy and until I can take her and the stroller out for long walks and some proper exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment