Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Life With a Terrier

I have had lots on my mind lately. Last Monday I went tracking with Bella and honestly I just wanted to throw in the towel. I have been working on building distance to her tracks and it's just not working. I had to cut the track short as she had just stopped trying. However she did re-locate and finish and found all the articles so it wasn't entirely horrible.

 Rauðavatn

So I decided to stop working myself into a frenzy about it and remind myself what Bella is good at. Being my pet and walking/biking companion. So we went out for a 7km walk yesterday evening.

Rauðavatn

I took her to an area that I used to bike in before getting her. I recall how I dreamt about biking these trails with a dog running around. I was only walking now but it was fun having the dog.
We landed right behind two women with 6 or 7 Cavaliers and Bella was about to hyperventilate out of excitement so I took her down another path so I could set her loose as this area allows dogs off leash. We took the photo above on the bench and looked across the small lake called Red-Lake (Rauðavatn).

Rauðavatn

Beyond the lake is the neighborhood I live in. I literally live on the outskirts of Reykjavík city and it's surrounded by nature. Highway number 1 is also there, this is the exit out of the city and to southern Iceland.

After taking the bench photo I went back to the trail and Bella must have thought we were returning because she bolted off back the way we came. One second she was there and the next she was just gone. I had to go back and had a good view over a large area but didn't see her. I knew she had followed the Cavaliers and just waited to hear barking. It never happened, after some time I heard her returning and called her to me and we were able to continue.

 Rauðavatn

We also met two worried Golden Plover parents that were trying to fake being wingbroken to get us away from their young. Bella doesn't bother chasing birds and after being made a fool from another one last Monday she wasn't going to let this trick fool her again.

Rauðavatn

We kept going in the nice evening sun, we even met another older Cavalier who Bella liked so much that she was going to follow him the other way. It was just wonderful to go out and not frustrate myself with what Bella isn't. I'm going to take a few steps back and work on making things more fun for both of us.


3 comments:

  1. Is always good to ave fun my chums....takes life eazee....that do be my motto...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a hard life for a terrier when the owner pretends to have ambition on its behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I can so relate - we've just caught up with weeks on your blog, its winter here and not much happenin for us to post so we've been out of blogland. After a winter of lacklustre agility training I am finally at the stage of maybe toning down the human ambition of learning about obedience, n agility n trackin n stuff - to the dogs obvious enjoyment of just doodling about the countryside with his human, and rolling in smells and having lots of loves n hugs. Bodie has over filled my main want in a dog which is to come when he is called and not run off on an off lead walk. The rest was just my fun and ambition and quite clearly not his. At the tender age of 9 yo I might have to let him have early retirement and we will doodle over our jumps in the backyard. If he's happy I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete